Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Oh how I love the internet




Yesterday I had a really funny conversation with my mom. She called me to tell me that she and my dad had found a sink online that they really wanted to buy for their bathroom. Why would she call me to tell me just this? She didn't. Next she asked me if I thought it was safe to buy it online. I had to pull the phone away for a minute while I hid my laughter. I didn't want to tell her that I order things online ALL the time, like 2-3 times a month! Maybe it's a generation thing, but I just thought it was a given, Internet Shopping = Okay. I told my mom it should be fine, and that was that. However, this conversation did get me thinking. . . what would I do without the internet????? Especially:

- Mapquest. I seriously have the worst sense of direction. EVER. I would never get anywhere on time without Mapquest. I do remember when my dad used to look up directions in his Thomas Guide. Ah the good old days.

- E-mail: I can't remember the last time I wrote an actual letter and stuck it in the mailbox. And I am not exaggerating. E-mail is a fast, easy means of communication, and I swear by it. I should count the number of e-mails I sent today, because it's ridiculous.

- Chatting/AIM: I was glued to the computer in high school and college thanks to AIM. I think it's how I learned to type! Chatting with friends via AIM was the thing to do.

- Google: I google EVERYTHING. Questions, restaurants, store hours, recipes. It's my go-to research tool. And I get really excited when the question I am typing pops up, meaning someone else researched the exact same thing!


- Fandango.com: I remember having to call the automated number for a theater to get movie times. And if you missed your movie, you would have to hang up and call again. Very inconvenient. Now all I have to do now is look online. Much easier!


- Online banking/bill pay: Talk about making paying bills easy! You don't have to worry so much about getting checks in the mail. Or running out of stamps. All you have to do is enter the payment amount online in your account and ta-da. . bills are paid!


- Online retailers: Online shopping saves me at work when I am bored! Bad for my wallet, but good for curing boredom! I definitely remember my first ever online purchase: a sweatshirt from American Eagle. Online shopping makes it easy to find your size, color, etc. and it prevents you from having to sit on the phone, calling stores looking for the product you want. And it can keep you out of crowded malls during the holidays. Love it!


- Instant Information: You can find basically anything and everything online. You can find it at 1 a.m. or 7 a.m. You can find restaurant hours, directions, recipes, how many quarts are in a gallon, etc etc etc. I mean anything. Before the internet, how did people solve debates? I know I have definitely searched for answers when in a large group and everyone is arguing over the answer. It has settled many bets.


There are many more things I love about the internet, these are just a few. I really don't know what I would do without internet. I don't think I would survive! Seriously. What do you love about the internet?

1 comment:

  1. So true! THere are sooo many things I love about the internet. And even sites like facebook make it easier to know whats going on in people's lives... great post! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete